1947 – WHITE TRUCKING AND EXCAVATING
White Construction Inc. traces its roots back just prior to World War II. Its founder, Herman White, began his journey into entrepreneurship with the purchase of a dump truck which he used to haul coal and gravel in the early 1940s. Herman then noticed a growing need in his community for excavation work. In 1946 he purchased two nonfunctioning bulldozers. Over the long winter he worked diligently, taking parts from each dozer to make one working machine. By the spring of 1947 Herman began advertising as White Trucking and Excavating – adding bulldozer work to his business offerings.
1960’s – FAMILY BUSINESS GROWS
As the fledgling enterprise grew, the White family’s life revolved around the business. The office was located in their home and the maintenance shop was in their back yard. The 1960s brought about further growth for the company in order to manage larger earthmoving projects such as site development for area industries, including Eli Lilly, Clinton laboratories, sewage lagoons, and construction at the Newport Army Ammunition Plant.
1979 – FOUNDER HERMAN WHITE PASSES AWAY
During the 1970s the company continued to expand into new markets and was growing by leaps and bounds when an unexpected tragedy hit – the company’s founding leader suddenly passed away. The company had been left in the hands of Herman’s wife, Coriene, and their children. The company’s leadership role was assumed by Herman’s son, Herman “Buddy” White II.
1983 – NAME CHANGED TO WHITE CONSTRUCTION INC.
Remaining true to its founder’s entrepreneurial vision, the company continued to adapt and grow. In 1983 the company name was again changed to its current name of White Construction Inc. (WCI) to better reflect its growth beyond earthmoving into a broader range of construction services. Throughout the 1980s White Construction expanded its operations to include crane and heavy rigging services and industrial plant maintenance
1990’s – EXPANDING INTO THE POWER INDUSTRY
In the 1990’s the company began to flourish, expanding into the construction of over 5,000 MW of co-generating gas peaking plants across the Midwest. White Construction’s entry into the power industry expanded the crane and equipment fleet making the company one of the largest privately owned crane houses in the Midwest.
2005 – WHITE CONSTRUCTION ENTERS THE RENEWABLE ENERGY INDUSTRY
When the 21st Century dawned, White Construction answered the call to investigate methods of energy independence. Entering into the renewable energy market would propel White Construction to grow over 600% in just six years. As a pioneer in wind energy construction, White Construction is proud to have helped shape the common practices of the wind industry, including instilling proactive efforts to ensure employee safety. The company also forayed into both biomass and solar power construction services and continues to offer them all as an extension of its heavy civil services.
2011 – WHITE CONSTRUCTION ACQUIRED BY IEA
After more than 60 years of growing a family owned business, White Construction saw an opportunity in 2011 to join forces with Infrastructure and Energy Alternatives (IEA). White Construction is proud to join IEA and become a platform company within their organization, ensuring continued growth and synergy for decades to come.